February 25, 2009

Groomercise #1: Look At Your Bride

Every wedding I shoot I try to make it a point to pull the bride and groom aside right before they go “on.” Most of the time, by this point in day they are both a bundle of nerves. They are nervous about the logistics of the day...is everyone in the right place, are people having fun, and oh yeah, they’re about to get flippin’ married!
I believe brides instinctively soak up the ceremony a little more than the groom might. But it doesn’t hurt to remind the guy that this is the moment. So when I pull him aside I try to say; “This is it. There will be many times in your marriage that you will remember how much you love her. Make this one of those moments. Be present, take it all in, notice how your bride looks today. You will probably not remember a single word the pastor says, but you will remember how she smiles, so look at your bride. I’m sure you don’t want pictures 20 years from now of you staring intently into the pastor's eyes (those always turn out creepy). Have fun, smile and again, congratulations.” But usually by this time I’m getting caught up in the moment so what really comes out is “duuurrrrrrrr….you should look at your bride, she’s pretty.”
So if I didn’t say that to you at your wedding, or I'm not able to in any future events, that is what I mean.

No comments: